Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Quotable Cyclist

Thanks to Hans for lending me his copy 
of this delightful book!



The Quotable Cyclist, edited by Bill Strickland captures the great moments of inspiration, wisdom and humor from the endless world of cycling.

There's also a small chapter, at the very end, called Hate.

Thankfully most of this compact book are quotes from the famous and not so famous about cycling inspiration...



Bottechia has the look of a country boy, but in cycling... what style! He has the arms and legs that never stop. I doubt anyone has taught him anything useful, but for sure he looks good on a bicycle. All of him is made for cycling.

-Henri Pelissier


When I was a bike messenger I rode Paris-Roubaix every day. I would hang on and pedal through the roughest streets.

-Nelson Vails


If you brake, you don't win.

-Mario Cipollini


To ride a bicycle properly is very like a love affair; chiefly it is a matter of faith. Believe you can do it and the thing is done; doubt, and  for the life of you, you cannot.

-HG Wells, The Wheels of Chance.


Cycling had been my life for twenty years. I lived it every minute of the day and there was nothing in my life that wasn't involved in my cycling. I wasn't a super champion, but I fought an epic battle trying to be one.

-Allan Peiper


And, with over 300 pages of inspiring quotes, all delightful ...even the hateful ones!



No comments:

Post a Comment