Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Salas: KOMs Tour of California


A new climber in town...
Salas crowned as KOMs!
optumprocycling.com


I admit it, I never knew of Sebastian Salas before watching the Tour of California.

The 25 year old is from Vancouver rides for Optum Pro Cycling and scored a major victory winning the KOMs jersey. He has the credentials as a grimpeur winning in 2011: Mt. Baker Hill Climb, Mt. Seymour Hill Climb and famously the Grouse Grind Mountain Run here.

In fact, Guy mentioned to me about Salas and now he's peaked my interest. The Pocket Rocket, as his coach calls him is perfectly built 5'7" has a big enough engine for prolong and sustain endurance, he is the world record of the Grouse Grind 2.9km climb in 23:48.


“It is an amazing feeling to bring home the jersey that this team has battled for so hard all week,” said Salas after the race. “I don’t think it has quite sunk it yet. Maybe once I can get some rest and recovery I will be able to enjoy the victory a bit more, but right now I am just ready for some sleep.” 


I understand he will  be riding the Gastown Grand Prix here on July 11.... I plan to go see this young and rising star!



Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment